Monday, August 31, 2009

Gazpacho with Gusto!


Gazpacho is another one of my warm weather faves. There are so many recipes for this delicious cold soup. This season alone, I have come across or tasted so many different kinds.

Some people have an aversion to gazpacho because it is a cold soup. Do yourself a favor and give it another try. Really. Don't raw veggies in the form of greens, toppings, and dressing get old? Basically, gazpacho is a liquid salad. If this is you, remember, if it's done well, it is a healthy, gourmet delight and you will enjoy it very much : P Puh-lease try it again. . .

Here are some gazpachos that I have seen on menus and/or tried this summer:
Pineapple-Ginger Gazpacho, Watermelon Gazpacho, Chunky Gazpacho, Creamy Gazpacho, Tomato Basil Gazpacho, Cucumber Dill Gazpacho, Southwestern Black Bean Gazpacho, Golden Tomato Gazpacho, Spicy Gazpacho, White Gazpacho, Orange and Mint Gazpacho

Okay, I'll stop.

Here are my two favorites of this summer and every summer before since I discovered these. But, alas, after listing all of those delectable sounding dishes, I may have to break out of my rut before gazpacho season ends and try something new.

Here are my two favorite gazpacho recipes!


CHUNKY GAZPACHO
adapted from The South Beach Diet cookbook
**I am not promoting this diet, but I ended up having a client who insisted I use the recipes and I found this one to be very tasty after I made a few adjustments.

2 1/2 cups all natural tomato juice or tomato juice blend (if you must use V8, use low sodium)
1 cup finely diced tomatoes
1/2 cup celery, diced very, very small
1/2 cup cucumber, diced very, very small
1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced very, very small
1/2 cup minced scallions
1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 T white wine vinegar
3 T extra-virgin olive oil
1 T minced garlic
4 T finely minced parsley
1/2 t sea salt
1 t worcestershire sauce
Freshly ground black pepper


In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients.

There is a lot of chopping involved so just start tossing the veggies into the bowl as you chop and measure them.

Mix together with a large whisk or spoon. Taste and season with lemon, salt, and pepper.

Let rest at least 10 minutes before serving. This keeps for five days in the fridge and makes a great healthy weekday lunch.


Green Gazpacho


1 1/2 lb tomatillos, papery skins peeled, then washed and quartered
1 green pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
1 1/2 c choppped cucumber (about 1 average cucumber)
1/4 c fresh parsley
1/4 c fresh cilantro
3 T freshly squeezed lime juice
1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 ripe avocado (halved, pitted, and scooped from it's skin)
2 T garlic, peeled and chopped
1 t sea salt
2 t ground cumin
1 r ground sweet paprika
1 T minced jalapeno, or other hot chile
splash of white wine vinegar
1 t agave nectar or honey
1/2 c water
3 T extra-virgin olive oil


You will need two large mixing bowls.

As you chop and measure, toss ingredients into one mixing bowl until all ingredients are prepped.

In a food processor or blender, blend in batches until smooth and transfer to second bowl.
When finished, stir together and taste. Season with salt, spice, and lemon.

Serve with tortilla chips and/or sour cream and hot sauce for a snack or light lunch. This lasts about five days in the fridge.

4 comments:

Deborah Soffel said...

That green gazpacho sounds delicious! I love the idea of putting avacado in it. I make a yellow version w/ yellow tomatoes and peppers and then garnish it with some thing red for contrast.
Your list of gazpacho variations is great!- pineapple ginger? I dont know!? Like you said, give it a try!

deb
http://grapesandgreens.blogspot.com/

Catherine Barker Hoffman said...

Yellow gazpacho sounds beautiful! Great idea! Yeah, I didn't try the Pineapple-ginger Gazpacho, but saw it on the "specials" board at a veggie joint in the east village. I can see how it would be good if it was Thai-inspired or something. Maybe with soy sauce, lime, and topped with peanut sauce or sriracha?? We may be on to something here.

Debbie said...

Do you have a gazpacho recipe that kids like too? I love gazpacho, but so far couldn't find something that my kids like, so I have to settle with cooking twice (gazpacho for me and something else for them) or just let it go.

Catherine Barker Hoffman said...

Well, when I was a kid, I was bonkers for my Mom's gazpacho, which was seasoned liked the "Chunky Gazpacho" recipe, but she blended it smooth. You could top it with a little sour cream and try that. If that doesn't fly at your house, try searching recipes for Watermelon Gazpacho or other fruit gazpachos. The sweetness from the fruit may help that develop a taste for it. Good luck!