Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Fresh Corn Polenta Cakes

I am on a polenta kick right now. It happens from time to time with me that I pick a food and just go with it. When I was little, about 8 or 9, I spent a whole summer eating sliced tomatoes--I was obsessed. Then, in high school I went on a peanut butter kick and ate peanut butter on everything.

Now my my obsessions are a little more subdued and individual foods aren't quite as exciting to me, but if I make something a few times for clients and it turns out really wonderful, sometimes I have to make it at home so I can stop thinking about it. Here is one of those recipes. I made this last week for a plated dinner party for 14 people and I'm making it today for a 17 year old vegetarian. Versatile, no?

Fresh Corn Polenta Cakes

1 onion, diced small
1 t minced garlic
2 cobs of corn, husked with kernals cut off
2 T butter
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
3 cups vegetable stock
1 cup fine corn polenta
3 finely minced scallions
1 cup grated sharp cheddar


Lightly oil a cookie sheet with olive oil.

In a large pot, cook onion and garlic in butter, until onion softens, about 7 or 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add corn kernals and cook about 10 minutes, until they are cooked.

Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Slowly pour in polenta, whisking the whole time. Turn heat off and continue whisking until polenta is thick. Whisk in scallions and cheddar.

Using a rubber spatula, pour into oiled cookie sheet and smooth out. Using spatula, try to make a level surface and equal thickness throughout. Let cool.

When cooled a bit, cut into squares or cut out circles with a biscuit cutter.

You can warm them in the oven and serve with butter.
OR
Grill them and grill some veggies and serve them together.
OR
Lightly flour and pan fry them.
OR
Warm them in the oven and serve with marinara sauce and parmigiano reggiano.


Here is a cute idea--cut out shapes with cookie cutters and grill them! You could top these with creme fraiche and chives for fantastical appetizers!


I just love polenta.


4 comments:

Deborah said...

I like the idea of adding corn kernels to the polenta, almost like a corn bread. Sounds delish!

Catherine Barker Hoffman said...

Yeah, I'm not quite sure where that idea came from, but I've been doing it for awhile--it just works. Even people who claim they don't like polenta like it, so I stuck with it. . .but I love polenta, so I who am to say?

Karen Baking Soda said...

ok, these are my nemesis! It looks and sounds so good and I can't do this! Well, since it's a bit hard to come and eat yours I'll need to suck it up and try again right?

Catherine Barker Hoffman said...

@ Baking Soda: Which part went wrong? Maybe I can help.