Monday, August 23, 2010

Zucchini Pancakes

Fresh Garden Veggies
Monday, rainy Monday.  It's still August and I know that fall is looming, but today just feels like it--it must be getting close.  It's gray, chilly, windy, and rainy out there. That's okay, I will surrender and be ready to attack those winter squashes and hearty greens with gusto. For now, though, I take the reminder of what's to come as inspiration to really enjoy these tomatoes, herbs, zucchini, and gorgeous heirloom varieties.

New Green Paint and New Crazy Lamp!
This week will be a typical end of summer scenario:  last minute client cancellation and now nothing to do today except to keep working on all the catch-up we have been attempting all summer (apartment fix-up, student loan organization--really fun stuff).  First, breakfast, then yoga.  Just put yet another batch of our new favorite condiment, Candied Jalapenos on the stove.  This time I'm being realistic and making it a double batch.  I'm sipping on coffee and enjoying the down time now because I suspect next week will be the opposite.

I haven't made my famous zucchini pancakes in ages and I think today's the day!  They are somewhat like potato pancakes--grated veg, eggs, and onion.  What a great use for those two huge zucchinis and a yellow crookneck squash (as seen in above photo).  I usually do a really quick tomato sauce to go with them, but I have tons of time today.  Maybe I will get a batch of  slow-cooked tomato basil sauce going too!

Zucchini Pancakes


3-5 zucchinis and/or yellow crookneck squash, grated  (about 8 cups)
1 grated carrot (opt.)
1 cup grated onion
3 eggs, lightly beaten (or egg-replacer or  flax goo equivalent)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
dash of garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup arrowroot, ww pastry flour, or potato flour+ a little extra just in case
olive oil for frying

Combine grated zucchini, carrots, and onion in a large mixing bowl.  Add eggs and stir until uniform.  Add baking powder and seasonings; stir together.

Taste for seasoning; adjust.

Add arrowroot, flour, or potato flour and stir together.  The mixture should be like a medium-thick pancake batter.  Add more flour or a little water until the consistency feels right.

For these, I love using the eco-nonstick frying pan (Cuisinart makes a great one).  Heat the pan to medium  and just lightly oil it.  Pour 1/2 cup of batter at a time onto the pan's heated surface.  Don't touch it until the side that is cooking forms a cooked/firm surface, about 3 minutes.  Flip and repeat.  Tranfer to a warmed plate or dish heating in a 350F oven for about 30 minutes total.

Serve with yogurt or sour cream like latkes or with a fresh tomato sauce and a little Parmigiano Reggiano.

2 comments:

rlrrlrll said...

I'm an idiot. First time here. Why I have waited so long I dunno. --DW

Scott said...

Cannot wait to try this.