Friday, May 6, 2011

Freshly Caught Rainbow Trout 2 Ways


Good old-fashioned brook trout has become a regular part of my spring ritual.  With a husband who can't stand to be in the city on opening day of fishing season, I have become accustomed to the excitement and drudgery of preparing freshly caught fish.  Wielding my sharpest knives, yesterday I dove into a tray of nine, that's right NINE rainbow trout, two of which were gigantic. With my Grandmas's beer batter in mind, I thought I would improve upon the recipe by adding Old Bay, cornmeal, and some other impromptu additions.

In the midst of filleting all those fish and prepping my batter, I notice how adorable a cut through the cross-section would be on such a small, light pink fish, so I tried it. Making little steaks seemed like a great experiment for my enthusiastic audience (husband and my parents) and also it was one less fish to fillet. The tiny fish steaks were cute but it was tough to remove all the rib bones, so beware and warn diners when you serve this. Nonetheless, I decided a little fish steak appetizer while I was battering and frying would be the perfect way to entertain myself and my family. Make these both and serve with a simple tomato-cucumber-green pepper salad.

Beer Battered Trout

1 room temperature beer
1 cup flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 t Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 t garlic powder
1 t paprika
1/2 t sea salt
2 t agave nectar or honey
expeller-pressed canola or sunflower oil for frying
trout fillets, rinsed and bones removed


Mix ingredients together in a large mixing bowl, adding a bit more cornmeal if too thin or a bit more beer or water if too thick.  The mixture should be like a thick pancake batter.

Heat oil for frying. Put trout pieces into the bowl and gently mix so fish pieces are well coated with batter. Fry in batches and drain on paper towels.


Trout Steak Appetizers

1 5" bamboo skewer for each fish steak
a small trout cut into 1" thick steaks, with as many bones removed as possible
2 T tamari
1/2 t dried lemongrass
1/2 t dried ginger
1 clove garlic 
2 T extra-virgin olive oil 
1 t rice wine vinegar

Soak skewers in a bowl of cold water. Carefully remove rib bones from each fish steak. Rinse and set aside. Whisk tamari, lemongrass, ginger, garlic, extra-virgin olive oil and rice wine vinegar. Marinate fish for 30 minutes-2 hours.  Skewer each fish steak sideways and arrange neatly on the skewer.

Heat a saute pan on medium high. Sear fish 2 minutes on each side. Finish with fresh lemon juice and serve.


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I accidentally all my trout. Is..is that bad?

Melanie Daryl said...

Fishing season is like men’s birthday; they are all in the sea to celebrate it. Anyway, your recipe looks simple and delicious! I’ll definitely try it. I just hope you post a picture after you've cooked it, so I’ll know what it looks like after. :)
{Melanie Daryl}